Monday, January 10, 2011

Major Snowstorm

When it comes to snow, it's like my inner child has hit pay dirt. I stay on the blogs, watch models, (what little I know about them), listen to the pro's and hope like heck that it comes to fruition what we're hoping for and that the real thing doesn't shift north or south because it will either give us freezing rain, ice, and rain, or it could give us nothing. Up until the night of the storm, it was predicted to give us 1-4", depending on who you listened to out of Atlanta. I was reading the blog by Andy Wood out of South Carolina and he was saying more than that. I had the news on, and Atlanta was getting pounded by heavy snow, and I was getting really jealous. I went outside and saw the first few flakes and ran into get Amber, who came outside and told me to come get her when it "really started snowing." Well, I decided while I was waiting to straighten up the porch, which included putting the lights I didn't get to use for Christmas away, sweeping off the porch that had the left over pine needles and small stems from the Christmas tree, and rolling up the extension cord. When I was done, still nothing by a stray flake or two and I came inside to look on the blog and radar...showed a heavy swath of snow coming through, so I went back out. About 10 minutes later the wind picked up and the snow came in. I called Amber out who promptly went back inside. It was snowing really hard..sometimes straight down, sometimes sideways when the wind would pick up. I came in after 15 minutes and there was about 1/10" of snow on the rails. After an hour I looked outside and we had 3". I went to bed hoping for a foot, (that's what was being said on some of the blogs). Around 4:30 AM I couldn't sleep so I came back out and looked outside...didn't see it snowing, but we had 8" sitting on the ground...so beautiful. Ladybug was not too happy...she had a coating of snow on her and was standing up. On radar a couple of hours later I see we are in a slot of dry air...like the snow was coming to us and was hitting a brick wall...we kept getting flurries off and on. Amber and I took a walk, I made a snowman, wrote in the snow, and climbed up the back way home, only to fall down twice at the top until I got my strength and held onto the dogs cage. Amber decided to record it. The snow has a layer of ice on top where it rained lightly and ended up as freezing rain. No snowman this time here. Maybe next!

No comments: